You never can tell.



You just never can tell when something will go big. We’ve all seen it from time to time something we didn’t think much of goes viral and the response far outweighs the effort. Take for example a video I made when we were removing lathe and plaster from the walls and ceilings of our home/studio/ gallery. I found after a lot of trial and error an easy way of removing it, and so I made a little home video. It took about 5 minutes to film, and few more to edit, and yet we received over 87,000 views so far which means we made about $150. No big deal you might say, but I am learning that you shouldn’t overlook something because it is too easy, or not exactly the style or niche you are creating for your work. I like the story that Giovanni Duprè tells in his autobiography a story of how he received a small commission to do some small decorative piece in wood. He cautions the ‘would-be’ artist however that he should treat each work to his best skill, and thereby he will honor himself and those who view it. In other words do everything to your best ability because you never know when it will be seen by someone who knows nothing of your other work and has only that piece to judge your skill by.

I was commissioned once to do a table centerpiece for an awards banquet. The pay was small, for the work involves, and I had to make copies for all 14 tables.  But I needed the money, so I took the job. (It was sculpting after all right?) I thought long and hard over this piece. It was a religious historical piece for a religious historic sites foundation.

I spent quite a bit of energy just working on the composition of the three parts if this piece, and even more on the details. So when it was done the effect was great, and set off the mood of the event faithfully. The person who received the award was given a few of the center pieces to take home, but he also enjoyed them so much he ordered several more for members of his family. In the years since this, I have sold many copies to people who were there, and others who only heard about it. I am so glad I put a worthy effort into it when I first created it, instead of just throwing it together based on the commission price. You never can tell.

Comments